Monday, January 7, 2013

The Holidays (Week 26 and 27)

Cape Town

So it's back to reality! I got home from Cape Town on Sunday and it's already right back into work but I'll save that for my next blog. The past two weeks have been really fun and hard at the same time. Starting at Christmas Eve, I went to a Catholic mass with the two German volunteers. (The church I go to didn't have a service because the pastor was away) It was really different from what I am used to and so I struggled with missing home during the service for sure but come Christmas day, we had a lot to do so it was a bit easier to be distracted. We had a Braii/BBQ with the kids and gave out their presents! They loved it! Also, Ayanda and Tenele came to visit me and I got to spend some time with them and give them their gifts! It was great fun! I gave the girl's their gifts and Ayanda, who's such a doll, gave me a cross necklace. It was so humbling to get a gift from her. She is 16 years old, has nothing, lives on her own and is giving me a gift. She is such a blessing and has had such a hard life but you can truly see Christ in her!


A beach along the coast on our drive back to Swaziland.
On Wednesday, we got up at 5am and headed to the bus rank to catch a khombi (mini bus/van) to Durban. We waited about 2 hours before it left and arrived in Durban at about 2-2:30. We camped at a backpackers for the evening and the next day took a bus from Durban to Cape Town.We left at 5pm on Thursday and got to Cape Town at 9pm on Friday. So it took us about 28 hours to get there! It was a long trip but not too bad because I slept a lot of it! When we got there we needed to find the Salesians, where we were staying. We forgot the address and were hoping that someone would be able to help us. Luckily, a taxi driver knew where it was and took us there so God definitely had a had of protection over us! So we stayed in Cape Town for 4 days. Cape Town is a beautiful city! It's right on the water and then on the other side is mountains! It is gorgeous! I could've spent so much more time there!!!! We spent New Year's Eve in Cape Town. We went to the waterfront and saw fireworks at midnight! It was cool. I think though I missed home the most that night! It was a fun night but I spent it with 10-15 Germans and I was the only American so at times it became lonely because they were all speaking German. But they did a good job trying to help me feel included. On the first of January we picked up our rental car and headed back to Swaziland. We took our time getting home. We left on the 1st and didn't get home to Swaziland until the 6th of January. It was cool we got to go to the furthest tip of Africa and see South Africa! It was a beautiful drive. It was a long drive and if you know me I am not a big fan of car trips. So, it was a bit of a struggle at times for me! But looking back, it was a good trip and God taught me a lot through it, as he's been teaching me a lot through everything I do! I think the biggest thing was just appreciating his beautiful creation and finding joy in what I do and experience. It was a really good lesson for me to learn. I can so easily get wrapped up in my own feelings and views on things that I miss out on the simple joys of life or the simple beauty of life. It was really cool to just feel God changing my heart and receiving that joy from him. I'm not saying I don't still struggle with it because even while I was still on the trip and at moments experiencing that Joy I also struggled with being in a car most of the day! But God showed me that if I ask for his joy, for his help, he'll show up. Sometimes it's not in the way we think he'll show up but he's always there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment